Tuesday, March 15, 2011

One week old

Its hard to believe that a week has past since Lucas James joined out lives.  It seems like he's been apart of our lives forever.  In some ways he has since I was pregnant for 37 weeks it is longer than a week.  At his Dr. apt today he is back up to 7lbs and is 20", so he is 3 oz away from birth weight and grew (or stretch out) 3/4". 
Lucas' delievery went really well and was rather quick.  I had it in my mind that I wanted to have him naturally and was pretty positive I could do it.  John and I talked about it and I knew he would be a great coach during the delivery, which he was.  I went to the Dr on March 7th (a scheduled apt) and I had been having contractions and wasn't feeling the greatest.  Usually that is a sign, but of course I didn't want to think it would be happening this soon.  Luckily, I had my bag packed and the boys bag packed the day before.  At any rate Dr.Fahnlander checked me and I was 3-4cm and 50% effaced.  I had quite a bit of bloody show so the Dr. felt since I was having so much change so fast, she would send me over.  I started to cry (because that was the rational thing to do, right??) because I didn't know where John was, the big boys were still at daycare, I didn't have my bag, etc...The Dr. said don't worry your husband will take care of it and she was right.  Thankfully John was home from work and he went to get the boys, Andrea and Chris headed over to our house, and I told John all that I needed.  Chris also drove John to the hospital (and had to make another trip because we forgot the camera thanks Chris!) so we didn't have two cars downtown.  Well I get to the hospital and the nurse asks me why the Dr. sent me over (I really dislike when they do that, I wanted to respond, Oh I don't know just for fun and to waste your time, but I didn't).  I explained what was going on and she wasn't convinced I was in labor.  Well I wasn't going to argue with Jeanne, so I just said well the Dr. wanted me to come over and have you guys monitor me since I was having so much change.  Honestly, I would have been back at 2 am or something crazy so I am glad they finally kept me.  This was around 5:00 and thankfully Jeanne's shift ended at 7, but I digress.  Once John gets downtown, we start walking the L & D floor and finally I am told that at 7 they will determine if they are going to keep me or not.  At 7 I was checked and was making progress so now they decided I was in labor and they were keeping me.  The Dr. then broke my water at 7:15 and we were off to the races.  Honestly, labor wasn't too bad until the bitter end and that lasted about 15 min of hard labor.  I think I am pretty tough, and John was the best support system I could ever ask for and our new nurse Danae was AWESOME!!  Finally, it was time to push and Dr. Dornbier delivered our beautiful baby Lucas.  I also wanted to mention that Dr. Fahlander was the Dr. who saw me through majority of the apts when I had the ectopic a year ago and on March 8th of 2010 was when I had the ectopic rupture and Dr. Dornbier was the Dr. who preformed my emergency surgery.  God really does work in mysterious ways.


My three son's

Lucas James one week old

1 comment:

steve and pam said...

All three boys look so content. Sounds like little Lucas is doing really well. Thanks for the pictures - can hardly wait to see him in person.