Saturday, October 22, 2011

where we are a/o 10/22/11

I wanted to update our blog with what's going on with all three boys.  Needless to say its been stressful due to all the unknowns, but I am praying that all will work out the way its supposed to.  I'll start with oldest to youngest:
Andrew had a communicating hydrocele a few years ago that was repaired surgically by a pediatric urologist in DSM.  At his five year well child our PA could only feel one testicle and so she ordered an ultrasound to see what's going on.  Unfortunately, the testicle is not where its supposed to be and so we were referred to Dr. Glowaki who is a urologist.  The surgeon who did his surgery the first time is no longer in the state (I can't get anymore information as to why) so we met with Dr. Glowaki.  He wants to do an exploratory surgery to see what's going on and to see if Andrew's testicle can be salvaged.  I have asked for a 2nd opinion in IA City (which is incidentally the same Dr. we see for Lucas Dr. Kieren), but the earliest we can get in with her is Feb 7.  Currently we have his surgery scheduled for Nov 30 and if we can't get in with IA City sooner than we will most likely go ahead with the surgery Nov 30.  So many prayers that the Dr. will do right by Andrew with all of this.

Jacob had tubes put in his ears in January.  Since then he has had two ear infections and the last time he went to the Dr (which was about 2 weeks ago with an ear infection) the Dr. didn't think either tube was where it needs to be.  The earliest I can get in with Jacob's ENT is Nov 22, so we wait and see if he will need to have surgery again or if the tubes are where they need to be.  Again more prayers for our little Jake-man.

Now onto little Lucas.  As you might remember, Lucas has urine reflux.  From his last ultrasound a month ago, the Dr. in DSM and IA City are happy with the progress, but we are still not out of the woods as his reflux is still Grade 5 (the worst).  We go back to the nephrologist in Dec for another ultrasound and follow up to see where we stand.  IA City already has scheduled a VCUG for March 30 and from then (I assume) a decision will be made if he has grown out of it or surgery is needed.  Concurrently, as some of you know I have a thing with heads, head size, and mis-shapen heads and I have always been very worried about my children's heads.  Well maybe this is biting me in the a$$ now because I little Lucas has been diagnosed with craniosynostosis of the myopic suture.  Basically he has a ridge on the front suture (basically the bridge of your nose, up to your soft spot is where the suture runs).  I have always noticed it, but didn't say too much because I didn't want people to think I was nuts.  At any rate at his 6 month well child our PA took noticed and referred us to a pediatrician.  He then referred us to a plastic surgeon who said that he does have craniosynostosis.  I have requested to go to Mayo clinic for all CT scans and if surgery is needed.  The issue is if the sutures close too soon it can cause issues for his brain because it will have no where to grow.  I have done a little bit of looking on-line and currently I am comfortable with Mayo and a hospital in Dallas, TX.  The pediatrician is also looking at Gillette Children's hospital in Minneapolis, so I am waiting to see what he comes up with.  So more prayers are needed for our Lucas.  He is SUCH a happy baby and  has been through so much in his 7 1/2 months of life. 

I just pray that all these Drs. know what they are doing and lead us down the right path...for all of our children.

So there's the update for now.  As soon as I know more I will update the blog.  So please check back often.
love
The Haase's

4 comments:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

So sorry to hear about all this Becky! I am praying for you and your family!!

sandy said...

Becky, I used to work with Glowaki and he is good! We used to do lots of hydroceles and its very common. The worry is if the testicle is up inside it may be too warm for sperm to develop and can cause sterility. i am sure they've already told you that though. Hence the reason little boys should not be in hot tubs but its very difficult to convince parents of this. I also work now with Mayo and they are wonderful. I can tell you that they like to take care of things on the spot so they may want to do surgery, if needed then. All in all I believe you getting the best care so hang in there and try to be confident in your choices. Thinking of you guys and prayers coming to you as well.

judie said...

Thank you so much for giving good explanations. You have our prayers and the prayer groups at our church. I will share with them. Keep us updated. I love your boys! one verse i cling to:
Philippians 4:6,7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus

chole1678 said...

Becky-
Your whole family is in our prayers and if you need anything, please let us know how we can help.
Nichole