Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Sugar Cookies

I get excited every year for Christmas.  It's my favorite holiday and I enjoy it even more now that I have children.  This year I was deciding what kinds of cookies to make and thought I would keep it simple to sugar cookies, peanut butter blossoms, and chex mix (OK not a cookie, but it tastes super good!).  As I started to make the sugar cookies I had visions of what they would look like.  Beautifully decorated sugar cookies with detail on them that looked too good to eat.  I was so excited to start on this project I could hardly wait for the dough to harden in the fridge! 
what the sugar cookies were intended to look like

How the cookies turned out.
Well I started to make the cookies into shapes with my kids help, there was a little stress starting as my kids are little and tend to want to touch everything and not give me 5 seconds to do what needs to be done in order for them to make the cookies.  Once we cut out all the cookies, my boys were excited to frost them, but how could they frost them with the vision I had for these sugar cookies??  I got out my cake frosting bags and tips and started to frost the cookies, but much to my dismay, they weren't exactly turning out Pinterest worthy.  Instead they were looking like blobs on top of blobs on my cookies and my kids were not involved.  My oldest asked, can I put some sprinkles on the cookies?  At that point I realized, wow what a waste of time trying to have beautiful sugar cookies because I was missing out on an important memory with my boys.  At that point it was no holds bar!  Sprinkles everywhere, TONS of frosting, designs, etc...I have to say, THESE are the most beautiful sugar cookies ever and the memory that my kids and I made was priceless.

No comments: